A meadow of daisies


I sewed a top out of this fabric, and decided I needed MORE daisies – so made earrings to accompany it. There’s a few Swarovski as the center, and some lovely petal clear ab beads from Beadcats. It’s fun to remember the projects for the original purchase; the petals were leftover from a commission I did quite a while ago, and the Swarovski were leftovers from a Beading for a Cure kit.

As always the problem with fiddling around to make something for a one-off project is making two the same; I was about 3/4 through the first earring when I had to stop to begin the second. I was afraid if I went much further, I wouldn’t know how to start. The petals stay mostly in place, and the face of the flower is about 3/4″ (22 mm).  I tried hanging them off a hoop, lever backs, and ear threads, but went back to my usual French hook.

I think a fun database would be of fashion trends. Enter, say, “ear threads” to learn that they were a minor fashion statement perhaps 10 years ago. They would have been fun style-wise for this earring, but the thread part is too long. I don’t know how I will ever use the one set of ear threads I purchased.

Anyway! Next project will be either another set of earrings (pretty turquoise cabochons are ready to go on my work table), or another attempt at a necklace I’ve been trying to make. I think my meadow of daisies is plenty full for now.

Conch earrings


When I am on vacation, I tend to buy jewelry. When I was in Florida a few years ago, I contemplated buying a piece of conch jewelery. It is a beautiful true pink, not a color usually found in glass without surface dyeing, which can be impermanent. I didn’t buy any conch jewelry then, so I recently purchased these half-drilled drops from MiGem to make up for my lapse. The half-drilled style is good as it keeps the drop from rotating as it might on a headpin; the front of these is pink and the back is white. I do tend prefer headpins as I wonder about the glue holding, even using E6000, but this is better for a “stone” that has a definite front and back. These earrings are simple and appealing to me, highlighting the beauty of the conch.

One day left on my Beading For a Cure necklace!


This is the last year for Beading For a Cure, where participants buy a kit of beads, sight unseen, and create something using at least one of every bead to sell at auction. Proceeds from the auction go to fight colorectal cancer, in memory of Layne Shilling, a beader who lost her life to the disease.

The necklace above is my contribution to BFAC this year, and bidding ends Sunday night. Please bid if you’d like, or see what the rest of the shop holds – you might find something else that you love.

BFAC 2012 pendants